Nurse Practitioner Approval to Practice Annual Renewal
Welcome to the North Carolina Board of Nursing Online Application for Nurse Practitioner Approval to Practice Annual Renewal.
If your RN license is due to be renewed this year, you must renew your RN license before you can renew your NP approval to practice. You must wait 24 hours after renewing your RN license before you can renew your NP approval.
| COMPLIANCE REVIEWS: ARE YOU PREPARED?|
The Board of Nursing and the Medical Board are conducting NP Compliance Reviews. In these reviews the staffs of the Boards have found that an average of only 38 % of the NPs audited were in compliance with the law and rules. Common discrepancies found include:
- Collaborative Practice Agreement – not in place prior to beginning employment, not signed and dated or reviewed on an annual basis, lacking required elements.
- QI meetings – lacking documentation of meetings and required content.
- CE requirements (50 contact hours from annual renewal to annual renewal each year) – lacking documentation with certificates.
You can review the Compliance Review checklist by clicking here.
You are required to renew your approval(s) to practice by the last day of your birth month each year [See Rule 21 NCAC 32M.0106 or 21 NCAC 36.0806]. If you do not renew by the last day of your birth month, your approval to practice is automatically placed on inactive status at midnight of the last day of the expiration month. You will be required to reapply for approval to practice and will need to complete the subsequent approval to practice application.
You will be notified by mail when it is time for you to renew your approval to practice. If you wish to place any of your approvals to practice on inactive status, you must notify the Board of Nursing [See Rule 32M.0108 or 21 NCAC 36.0808] either by written notification or online by using Request Inactive Status link under Online Services from NCBON home page.
You will be allowed to print your Nurse Practitioner annual renewal certificate on the confirmation page. A renewal certificate will NOT be mailed to you.
Please Note: the Nurse Practitioner annual renewal process will be delayed if one of the following situations occur:
- You DO NOT have a current and unencumbered NC RN License
- You hold a compact state RN license
- You have answered “Yes” to either of the NP Applicant Background questions.
Once the above listed situations have been addressed, your Nurse Practitioner renewal certificate will be mailed to your home address.
Nurse Practitioner Approval to Practice Annual Renewal Fee is:
|| per physician renewed or
|| per physician renewed for volunteer status (non-paid position)
All fees are non-refundable.
PLEASE BE SURE YOU INDICATE THE CORRECT STATUS OF VOLUNTEER POSITION OR NON-VOLUNTEER POSITION FOR EACH APPROVAL.
Note: This application will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity.
Before you continue with the North Carolina Nurse Practitioner on-line renewal application process, you must have the following:
- Your Social Security Number and Date of Birth
- An active NC RN license or another compact state RN license. (License # and expiration date)
- A printer. You will be required to print forms at the end of the application process.
- A valid credit or debit card – MasterCard or Visa.
- Popup blockers disabled or temporarily allow popups for this application.
- Browser set to accept cookies.
- Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print the necessary forms.
If you do not complete the application, you will be given the opportunity to save the application and return at a later time. Your application will be saved for 60 days.