The following task list was approved by the North Carolina Board of Nursing at its meeting on September 24, 1999. These tasks may be delegated by the registered nurse to individuals who are duly credentialed as both Nurse Aide IIs and EMT-Intermediates (EMT-I) or EMT-Paramedics (EMT-P) as well as deemed competent to perform the tasks. The RN maintains accountability for the delegation decision-making process and ongoing supervision of these assistive personnel.
- Start peripheral I.V. with non-medicated fluid to keep line open.
- Insert and maintain peripheral I.V. lock with normal saline or Heparin in normal saline.
- Initiate/monitor oxygen including setting of flow rate.
- Apply sterile dressings to wounds less than 48-hours old.
- Perform basic life support including use of AED.
- Employ bag valve mask respiratory ventilation as a part of code team activities.
- Apply pulse oximeter and transcutaneous CO2 monitor.
- Perform phlebotomy.
- Perform capillary blood sugar analysis.
- Perform 12-Lead ECG test.
- Recognize 12-Lead ECG and Cardiac monitor arrhythmias.
- Provide control of bleeding with use of dressings, pressure and elevation of body part.
- Provide spinal immobilization and apply splints.
- Insert oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal airways.