- Programs in North Carolina
- Nursing Education Program Statistics
- Programs Outside of North Carolina
- Internationally Educated Nurses
- Resources for Program Directors
- Nursing Program Director Gateway
- NCLEX Program Data
- Program Completion Verification
- Education Forms
- Education Consultant Assignments
- Just Culture Information
- Approval for Program Expansion
- Assessing a Clinical Agency
- Suggestions for Utilization of Preceptors
- Education Communique
- New Graduates Resources & Information
- Focused Client Care Experience Guidelines
- Programs that meet Faculty .0318(g)(4)(A) Teaching/Learning Requirements
- Students / Public Complaints
- Continuing Education
- Board Sponsored Offerings
- Board Sponsored Bulletin Offerings
- What Could Happen: The Consequences of "Practice Drift" ... Is it Worth the Risk?
- Development of Sanctioning Guidelines for Public Discipline in Nursing Regulation: The North Carolina Board of Nursing Journey
- Creating a Healthy Work Environment is Every Nurses' Responsibility
- Who's Your Supervisor or Manager?
- Getting to Know Your Licensing Board: the North Carolina Board of Nursing at a Glance
- Uh oh, the Board of Nursing called...Complaint Reporting and Resolution
- Social Networking and Nurses
- DELEGATION: What are the Nurse's Responsibilities?
- Fitness for Duty includes Getting Your ZZZZs
- Incivility in Nursing
- Public Protection Through Safe Nurse Staffing Practice
- Competency Validation: What Does it Mean for You?
- Request an NCBON Speaker
- CNE Approval
- Unlicensed Assistive Personnel
- Medication Aide Curriculum
- Position Statements
- FAQ - Nursing Education
Board Sponsored Offerings
Legal Scope of Practice Online Course (Individual)
The purpose of this course is to provide information and clarification regarding the legal scope of practice for nurses in North Carolina. This self-paced online course provides a basic understanding of nursing regulation and the parameters of practice for all levels of nursing personnel. It contrasts the scopes of the registered nurse and licensed practical nurse and provides examples of “exceeding” one’s scope.
- 2.3 contact hours $40.00
- 3 weeks unlimited access
Please read the information below carefully in preparation for taking this course.
The course is divided into an introduction and five chapters. Handout material can be downloaded and reviewed prior to logging on to begin the course. You must register with the Board to receive an access code, which will be valid for 3 weeks of unlimited access. You may exit the course at any time and complete it at your own pace. Upon completion, you will be expected to take a post-test and submit your answers for scoring. In order to receive contact hours, you must score a minimum of 80% on the post-test.
Read the following handouts:
The following documents and pages provide information that will be of assistance in completing the Legal Scope of Practice Course:
- Rules Defining Components of Practice for Registered Nurses pg 23-25
- Rules Defining Components of Practice for Licensed Practical Nurses pg 25-28
- Position Statement LPN in Charge
- Position Statement Staff Development
- Position Statement Procedural Sedation
- Position Statement Cosmetic Procedures
- Position Statement Wound Care-Assessment and Debridement
- Position Statement History & Physical Examination – The Role of the RN
- Nurse Aide I Tasks
- Nurse Aide II Tasks
- Decision Tree for Delegation to Unlicensed Assistive Personnel
- Position Statement Office Practice Setting
- Revocation, Suspension & Denial of License pg 11
You must register for the course:
Then you may take the course:
Post-Test and Evaluation:
Note: The video presentation is displayed in Adobe Presenter and is compatible with any device supporting Adobe Flash 9 or higher. Please see the technical specifications for more information on the technical requirements.