North Carolina Board of Nursing

Nursing Practice

Nurse Aides

Information and Rules

Unlicensed assistive personnel is an umbrella term used to describe unlicensed health care assistants that have been trained to provide certain tasks of client care as directed by a licensed health care provider. Unlicensed Assistive Personnel (UAP) include but are not limited to the following specific job titles: Nurses’ Aides (NA)/Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), Patient Care Aides (PCA) /Home Health Aides (HHA)/Patient Care Technicians (PCT), Medical Office Assistants (MOA), Medical Assistants (MA), Medication Aides (Med Aide), and Medication Technicians (Med Tech). UAP may work in a variety of healthcare settings not limited to hospitals, skill nursing facilities, home care, MD practices, and in various community health environments (i.e.: schools, correctional facilities, clinics).

Note: Family members, friends, and guardians of a client are not considered UAP.

The Division of Health Service Regulation (DHSR) approves the Educational Programs for the Nurse Aide I (NA I) and Medication Aide and develops the curriculum for the NA I. The North Carolina Board of Nursing (NCBON) approves Nurse Aide II (NA II) Educational Programs and develops the curriculum for NA II training. In addition the NCBON approves the faculty for Medication Aide Programs.

DHSR lists the NA I and the Medication Aides. The NCBON lists the NA II. However, all concerns/complaints regarding NAs (I or II) or Medication Aides are made to the DHSR.

For information on appropriate delegation to UAPs – refer to Decision Tree for Delegation to UAP.

Additional Resources: