North Carolina Board of Nursing

Nursing Practice

Professional Corporations and Professional Limited Liability Companies

Registered nurses (RNs) exploring entrepreneurial opportunities are encouraged to seek legal advice in establishing a professional corporation (PC) or professional limited liability company (PLLC) for the purpose of providing nursing and related services. Application is made through the NC Board of Nursing (Board) as noted below and through the NC Secretary of State. Nursing PCs and PLLCs must meet all requirements set forth in all applicable NC laws and rules including, but not limited to, the following:

G.S. 55B – Professional Corporation Act;
G.S. 57D – NC Limited Liability Company Act;
G.S. 90 Article 9A – Nursing Practice Act;
21 NCAC 36 .0500 – Professional Corporations (Nursing); and,
21 NCAC 36 .0600 – Articles of Organization (Nursing PLLC).

Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) are not authorized to establish PCs or PLLCs by these regulations.

Submit to the NC Board of Nursing

North Carolina Board of Nursing
Post Office Box 2129
Raleigh, North Carolina 27602-2129

The Board will issue a Certificate of Registration required to then be filed with the NC Secretary of State.


The initial Board Certificate of Registration will remain in effect until December 31st of the year in which it is issued. Ongoing renewal of the Board Certificate of Registration is then required annually prior to December 31st expiration date. The Board mails renewal applications annually, prior to November 15th, to the PC or PLLC address on file.

At least 20 days prior to the date of expiration of the certificate, the PC or PLLC shall submit to the Board:

  • Written renewal application
  • $25 annual renewal fee
  • Failure to renew Certificate of Registration with the Board within 30 days of expiration date results in automatic suspension of approval and notification of the Secretary of State.
  • Renewal of nursing or advanced practice nursing license/registration/recognition/approval to practice does not renew PC/PLLC Certificate of Registration.
  • Annual renewal with the Secretary of State may also be required per laws and rules.


Contact Tammy Edelen at 919-782-3211 ext. 281

Note: In accordance with G.S. 55B and G.S. 57D, PCs and PLLCs formed for the purpose of providing medical services must be owned by a licensed physician, advanced practice registered nurse (NP, CRNA, CNM, or CNS as specified in G.S. 55B and G.S. 57D), physician assistant, or some combination thereof. Licensed nurses (RN and LPN) are not authorized by these laws to be full or part owners in a PC or PLLC providing medical services.