Licensure by Endorsement
- License by Endorsement: $150.00
FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE
Valid Forms of Payment:
- Credit or Debit Card; MasterCard or Visa only
- Electronic Check (E-Check)*
*Per N.C.G.S. 25-3-506, a $25.00 processing fee will be charged for a Electronic Check (E-Check) refused by the bank due to insufficient funds or closed account.
To determine if you are eligible to endorse your nursing license to North Carolina you must show evidence of:
- For Registered Nurses (RN), completion of a program of nursing education which was approved by the jurisdiction of original licensure.
- For Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN), completion of a program in practical nursing approved by the jurisdiction of original licensure; or course of study within a program shall be comparable to that required of practical nurse graduates in North Carolina.
- Successful completion of NCLEX or SBTPE.
- Self-Certification of mental and physical health necessary to competently practice nursing.
- Active license in a jurisdiction. If the license has been inactive or lapsed for five or more years, applicant must complete a Board Approved Refresher Course.
- Unencumbered license in all jurisdictions in which a license is or has ever been held, including any occupational licensing board.
- Completion of all court conditions resulting from any misdemeanor or felony convictions.
- Written explanation and all related documents if the nurse has been (1) disciplined in any state in which the nurse has been licensed, and/or (2) listed as a Nurse Aide with finding(s).
You will need the following to apply:
- Name, location and year of graduation of your basic school of nursing
- State, year and license number of original license by examination
- State of current license and license number
- Dates of employment and position(s) held for last two (2) nursing employers
- All U.S. Member Boards in which you have EVER been licensed with License Number and dates License held.
- Social Security number issued by U.S. Social Security Administration
- Verification from original state of license and, if different, last state practiced
- Criminal Background Check conducted by the North Carolina Board of Nursing
Nurse Licensure Compact
You may be eligible for a nonrenewable Temporary License which permits employment as a licensed nurse in North Carolina while the application is in process. A Temporary License is valid for six (6) months or until the permanent license has been issued (whichever comes first). Prior to the issuance of a Temporary License, the Criminal Background Check fingerprints, forms and fee must be received in the Board office for Out-of-State applicants. If you are a resident of North Carolina, the Live Scan Application must be submitted online and the Criminal Background Check results received prior to being review for a temporary license. Temporary Licenses are typically issued within 2-3 weeks of application submission date.
A Criminal Background Check is required
All applicants must provide their fingerprints and the appropriate forms and fee to facilitate a Criminal Background Check prior to the issuance of a license.
North Carolina Residents Only:
If you reside in North Carolina, complete the Live Scan application and follow instructions to have your digital fingerprints electronically transmitted to the SBI/FBI. Most North Carolina Sheriff office's will provide this service. Live Scan is only available to applicants living in North Carolina.
If you reside in another state or country, North Carolina Board of Nursing issued fingerprint cards and instructions will be mailed directly to you following submission of your application for licensure. Fingerprinting must be performed by trained law enforcement personnel. Contact your local Sheriff or Police office for assistance and additional details.
- NURSYS Information
- Verification of Nurse Licensure (Part II)
- Verification of Current Status (Part III)
- Declaration of Primary State of Residence
- Form for Foreign Graduates
- U.S. Social Security Information
- Refresher Course Verification
- Form for Conviction, Disciplinary action, Denial of license, or Nurse Aide Findings
To submit an application for endorsement, access your Nurse Gateway profile and select 'ENDORSEMENT APPLICATION' under the 'Licenses/Certificates' menu item.
- The Application Confirmation which serves as your official receipt will be available on your Nurse Gateway profile upon successful completion of the application process. To access, select the appropriate tile under the "Licenses/Approval to Practice/Certifications" tab on the Home screen, then select the "Files" tab on the License Information screen.
- If your email address is listed with the North Carolina Board of Nursing, you will receive a confirmation via email verifying receipt of your online application.