Duties and Responsibilities
In addition to issuing, renewing and reinstating nursing licenses for Registered Nurses and Licensed Practical Nurses, Board responsibilities include:
- Approving and monitoring the state’s nursing education programs which lead to initial licensure throughout the state;
- Interpreting the practice of nursing in North Carolina based on the Nursing Practice Act;
- Investigating complaints against licensed nurses and taking appropriate actions when deemed necessary;
- Administering the Nurse Licensure Compact;
- Maintaining the Nurse Aide II Registry;
- Regulating the practice of Nurse Practitioners and Nurse Midwives.
Board members spend an average of 30 days per year in carrying out these duties. Additional time may be spent depending upon Committee assignments and participation in other Board-related activities.