Licensure by Endorsement
The initial application for Licensure by Endorsement, and the Criminal Background Check will be held active for one (1) year. If the application process is not completed within one year, you will be responsible for repayment of fees.
If you have declared another compact state as your primary state of residence and plan to change your primary state of residence to North Carolina, you may continue to practice nursing under your current compact state license for a period not to exceed ninety (90) days. You will not be issued a North Carolina license until you declare North Carolina or a non-compact state as your primary state of residence. Once you declare North Carolina as your primary state of residence, you must immediately change your address via your Nurse Gateway portal.
If you have declared another compact state as your primary state of residence and DO NOT plan to change your primary state of residence to North Carolina, your application will remain active for one (1) year should your plans change.
An active North Carolina license is not issued when another Compact State is claimed as the primary state of residence.
You will need the following to apply:
- Name, location and year of graduation of your basic school of nursing.
- State, year and license number of original license by examination.
- State of current license and license number.
- Dates of employment and position(s) held for last two (2) nursing employers.
- All U.S. Member Boards in which you have EVER been licensed with license number and dates license held.
- Social Security number issued by U.S. Social Security Administration.
- Verification from original state of license and, if different, last state practiced.
- Criminal Background Check conducted by the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
|Licensure by Endorsement|
|Access the Nurse Gateway||
|Complete Online Application||
|Valid Forms of Payment||
Active Duty Military Credit
Active duty military and/or their spouse may be eligible for an Endorsement application credit. Request for credit must be submitted within 90 days of the credit/debit card payment. Applicants must submit a copy of one of the following as evidence of eligibility:
Evidence should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only active duty military and/or their spouse is eligible for the credit.
Nurse Licensure Compact
Licensed Practical Nurse
To determine if you are eligible to endorse your nursing license to North Carolina you must show evidence of:
You may be eligible for a nonrenewable Temporary License which permits employment as a licensed nurse in North Carolina while the application is in process. A Temporary License is valid for six (6) months or until the permanent license has been issued (whichever comes first). Prior to the issuance of a Temporary License, the Criminal Background Check fingerprints, forms and fee must be received in the Board office for Out-of-State applicants. If you are a resident of North Carolina, the Live Scan Application must be submitted online and the Criminal Background Check results received prior to being review for a temporary license. Temporary Licenses are typically issued within 2-3 weeks of application submission date.
Current License (if different from original)
How to request verification...
|Criminal Background Check||
All applicants must provide their fingerprints and the appropriate forms and fee to facilitate a Criminal Background Check prior to the issuance of a license.
North Carolina Residents:
If you reside in North Carolina, complete the Live Scan application and follow instructions to have your digital fingerprints electronically transmitted to the SBI/FBI. Most North Carolina Sheriff office's will provide this service.
If you reside in another state or country, North Carolina Board of Nursing issued fingerprint cards and instructions will be mailed directly to you the following week after submission of your application for licensure. Fingerprinting must be performed by trained law enforcement personnel. Contact your local Sheriff or Police office for assistance and additional details.
- NURSYS Information
- Verification of Nurse Licensure (Part II)
- Verification of Current Status (Part III)
- Declaration of Primary State of Residence
- Form for Foreign Graduates
- U.S. Social Security Information
- Refresher Course Verification
- Form for Conviction, Disciplinary action, Denial of license, or Nurse Aide Findings