Request Testing Accommodations
- Candidates should request testing accommodations at the time of application for licensure.
- The accommodation must be approved by North Carolina Board of Nursing before a candidate can schedule the NCLEX.
- Mental impairment includes any mental or psychological disorder, such as organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness and specific learning disabilities, which are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Test anxiety and English as a second language is not protected under the ADA.
Items Required for an Accommodation:
- Documentation from a qualified professional with expertise in the area of the diagnosed disability which must include:
- Recognized diagnosis found in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)
- Identification of the specific standardized and professionally recognized test-assessments given (e.g., Woodcock-Johnson, Weschler Adult Intelligence Scale)
- The scores resulting from testing interpretation of the scores and evaluations
- Recommendations for testing accommodations with a stated rationale as to why the requested accommodation is necessary and appropriate for the diagnosed disability
- Letter from candidate defining the disability and specific testing accommodations desired
- Letter from Program Director defining what accommodations the candidate was given during the nursing education program
Mail Required Documents to:
North Carolina Board of Nursing
P.O. Box 2129
Raleigh, NC 27602-2506