- Inactive Status: $100.00
- Expired Status: $180.00
FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE
Valid Forms of Payment:
- Credit or Debit Card; MasterCard or Visa only
- Electronic Check (E-Check)*
*Per N.C.G.S. 25-3-506, a $25.00 processing fee will be charged for a Electronic Check (E-Check) refused by the bank due to insufficient funds or closed account.
Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse
- You previously held an active license in North Carolina
- You held a nursing license in North Carolina or another state within the last five (5) years OR have completed a Refresher Course within the last year, which has been approved by the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
- If your North Carolina nursing license has lapsed for five (5) years or longer, you will be required to take a Board-Approved Refresher Course or provide evidence of active licensure in another state or jurisdiction within the past five years
- You must not declare another Compact State as a primary residence
- You must have met the Continuing Competence requirements: Continuing Competence - 21 NCAC 36.0232
- Criminal Background Check if your North Carolina nursing license has been inactive or expired 6 months or more
- Live Scan is only available to applicants living in North Carolina. If you reside in another state or country, the Criminal Background Check packet will be mailed to you following submission of your application for reinstatement.
If all requirements have been met, your online application will be processed within 3 business days.
If a Criminal Background Check or additional documents are required, your online renewal application will be processed within 6 - 8 weeks.
If you have been charged or convicted of a felony or misdemeanor or have any charges pending whatsoever (which have NOT been previously reported to the Board); or if you have any charges or actions against any professional license (which have NOT been previously reported to the Board), submission of additional documents will be required before your license renewal can be processed.
If you're requesting reinstatement following disciplinary action by the North Carolina Board of Nursing, call (919) 782-3211 ext 271.
Important Notice for Advanced Practice Nurses
Nurse Practitioners and Certified Nurse Midwives
If you are renewing your Registered Nurse (RN) license, the Registered Nurse license does not allow you to practice as a Nurse Practitioner or Certified Nurse Midwife. You must renew or reinstate the advanced practice approval separately from the Registered Nurse licensure.
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist
If you are renewing your Registered Nurse (RN) license, the Registered Nurse license does not allow you to practice as a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist. You must verify your certification status with the North Carolina Board of Nursing initially, and thereafter on a periodic basis concurrent with the CCNA renewal cycle. All nurse anesthetists are expected to renew their National Certification biennially in July. Approximately 60 days prior to the expiration of the National Certification, the Board of Nursing will mail you a notice to update your North Carolina Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist recognition and to provide your current National Certification number and expiration date to the Board of Nursing.
To reinstate your license, access your Nurse Gateway profile and select the 'EXPIRED!' tile which indicates your license under the 'Licenses/Approval to Practice/Certifications' tab. Select Renewal/Reinstatement on the following page.
- The Application Confirmation which serves as your official receipt will be available on your Nurse Gateway profile upon successful completion of the application process. To access, select the appropriate tile under the "Licenses/Approval to Practice/Certifications" tab on the Home screen, then select the "Files" tab on the License Information screen.
- If your email address is listed with the North Carolina Board of Nursing, you will receive a confirmation via email verifying receipt of your online application.