In North Carolina, Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) is an umbrella title for Registered Nurses who are, as defined in the North Carolina Administrative Code (21 NCAC 36.0120(6) ), as Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Anesthetist, Nurse-Midwife or Clinical Nurse Specialist.
Definition of an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN), adapted from the Consensus Model for APRN Regulation*
An Advanced Practice Registered Nurse is a nurse:
- Who has completed an accredited graduate-level education program preparing him/her for one of the four recognized Advanced Practice Registered Nurse roles;
- Who has passed a National Certification examination that measures Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, role and population-focused competencies and who maintains continued competence as evidenced by recertification in the role and population through the national certification program;
- Who has acquired advanced clinical knowledge and skills preparing him/her to provide direct care to patients, as well as a component of indirect care; however, the defining factor for all Advanced Practice Registered Nurses is that a significant component of the education and practice focuses on direct care of individuals;
- Whose practice builds on the competencies of Registered Nurses (RN) by demonstrating a greater depth and breadth of knowledge, a greater synthesis of data, increased complexity of skills and interventions, and greater role autonomy;
- Who is educationally prepared to assume responsibility and accountability for health promotion and/or maintenance as well as the assessment, diagnosis, and management of patient problems, which includes the use and prescription of pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions;
- Who has clinical experience of sufficient depth and breadth to reflect the advanced practice role.
*Consensus Model for Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Regulation: Licensure, Accreditation, Certification & Education, July 7, 2008 - Completed through the work of the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Consensus Work Group & the National Council of State Boards of Nursing Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Advisory Committee.
Additional Information on Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
- Controlled Substances Reporting System
- DEA Online Renewal Application Update
- NCSBN APRN Webpage
- APRN Advisory Committee Final Report to Board
- Policy for the Use of Opiates for the Treatment of Pain (03/29/2017)
- Pain Management in End-of-Life Care
- Strengthen Opioid Misuse Prevention (STOP ACT)