Standards of Care for Opioid Prescribing
What Every Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Prescriber and Investigator Need to Know
Presentation by: Randall Steven Hudspeth, PhD, MBA, MS, APRN-CNP/CNS, FRE, FAANP
Opioid misuse is becoming an epidemic. Knowledge of nationally vetted standardized methods of pain assessment, safe treatment options and modalities, and follow-up evaluation for patients on opioids is essential for health care providers. This presentation outlines the current standards of care for pain management and safe opioid prescribing that are necessary for Advanced Practice Registered Nurses and other providers prescribing opioids. These guidelines should serve as the standards of care for prescribers, as well as boards of nursing and their investigators when evaluating violations that involve poor or inappropriate prescribing, abuse, and other issues related to opioid prescribing.
The North Carolina Board of Nursing (NCBON) Policy for the Use of Opiates for the Treatment of Pain is the Board’s official guidance document for licensees who prescribe controlled substances for the treatment of pain.
This session is approved for 4 contact hours (4.0 CH Pharmacology Controlled Substance Prescribing). Participants must complete the entire session to be eligible for the nursing contact hours.
North Carolina Board of Nursing is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the North Carolina Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
By the conclusion of this session, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the background for the current national opioid misuse and over-prescribing concerns
- Discuss issues for consideration in practice investigation for safe opioid prescribing
- Review currently available methodologies and resources for safe-prescribing
- Review the nationally used REMS/safe opioid prescribing program content
- If you wish to take the optional FDA CORE Test, access the FDA CORE Test and email the completed test to Dr. Randall Hudspeth at firstname.lastname@example.org. He will facilitate registering test completers into the CORE system. For confidentiality reasons, do not include your DEA or License number
- Standards of Care for Opioid Prescribing: What Every Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Prescriber and Investigator Need to Know
- Opioid Prescribing: Safe Practice, Changing Lives
Continuing Education Offering
- Register (the next step is to Complete Evaluation)
- Complete Evaluation (the next step is to View & Print Certificate)
The registration and evaluation forms must be completed before you can access and print your continuing education certificate.
You must print your certificate immediately following completion of evaluation.
North Carolina Board of Nursing CNE Contact Hour Activity Disclosure Statement
The following disclosure applies to the NCBON continuing nursing education video entitled “Standards of Care for Opioid Prescribing: What Every APRN Prescriber and Investigator Need to Know" 4.0 CH (4.0 CH Pharmacology Controlled Substance Prescribing):
Participants must read the online reference documents (if applicable) in order to earn contact hours. Verification of participation will be noted by online registration. No commercial support has influenced the planning of the educational objectives or the content of this activity. There is no endorsement of any product by the provider or NCNA associated with this activity. No article information relates to products governed by the Food and Drug Administration. The expiration date for awarding contact hours is November 1, 2018.
The North Carolina Board of Nursing is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the North Carolina Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.