Nurse Aides

General Information

"Unlicensed assistive personnel" is an umbrella term used to describe unlicensed health care assistants that have been trained to provide certain tasks of client care as directed by a licensed health care provider. Unlicensed Assistive Personnel (UAP) include but are not limited to the following specific job titles: Nurse Aides/Certified Nursing Assistants, Patient Care Aides/Home Health Aides/Patient Care Technicians, Medical Office Assistants, Medical Assistants, Medication Aides, and Medication Technicians. UAP may work in a variety of healthcare settings including, but not limited to hospitals, skill nursing facilities, adult care facilities, home care, office/ambulatory care practice settings, and various community health environments (i.e.: schools, correctional facilities, clinics).

Family members, friends, and guardians of a client are not considered UAP

The Division of Health Service Regulation (DHSR) approves the Educational Programs for the Nurse Aide I (NA I) and Medication Aide and develops the curriculum for the Nurse Aide I. The North Carolina Board of Nursing (NCBON) approves Nurse Aide II (NA II) Educational Programs and develops the curriculum for Nurse Aide II training. In addition the North Carolina Board of Nursing approves the faculty for Medication Aide Programs.

Division of Health Service Regulation maintains the Nurse Aide I and the Medication Aides Registries. The North Carolina Board of Nursing maintains the Nurse Aide II Registry, however, all concerns/complaints regarding Nurse Aides (I or II) or Medication Aides are made to the Division of Health Service Regulation.

Refer to the following decision tree for more information on appropriate delegation to Unlicensed Assistive Personnel (UAP).

Additional Resources

Last Changed: 3-April-2024