Request Inactive or Retired Status
How to submit...
- Access the Nurse Gateway to complete the Request Inactive Status application or Request Retired Status application
- Select your license
- Your license includes your license type (RN Permanent License or LPN Permanent License), license number, expiration date, and license status.
- Select 'Request Inactive Status' or 'Request Retired Status' under the license options heading
- Complete application in full
- The application will remain pending until midnight of the expiration date
Fee Information: Inactive Status--There is no fee for this process; $30.00 (Retired Nurse Status)
FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE
Valid Forms of Payment
- Credit or Debit Card; MasterCard or Visa only
Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse
- You currently hold an active license in North Carolina
- Your current license is within 90 days prior to expiration
- Your license must be unencumbered
If you plan to discontinue the practice of nursing in North Carolina, either permanently or temporarily, a request may be made to become inactive. Inactive Status is requested when your license is up for renewal. The request for Inactive Status MUST be made before the expiration of your current license. Once a license expires, it cannot be placed on the Inactive Status.
A nurse with an Inactive Status license is not permitted by law to practice nursing, including volunteering, in North Carolina.
A nurse who has retired has the option of placing his or her license on Retired Status when the license is up for renewal. The request for Retired Status MUST be made before the expiration of your current license. If a license is inactive or expires, it cannot be placed on Retired Status.
Retired Status allows you to use the designation of either Registered Nurse - Retired or Licensed Practical Nurse – Retired. With the Retired Status, you will receive a frameable Certificate with this designation as well as a two-year subscription to the Bulletin. This Certificate will be mailed to you after the expiration date of your current license.
The Retired Status does not permit the practice of nursing, including volunteering, in North Carolina.
The Application Confirmation which serves as your official receipt will be available on your Nurse Gateway profile upon successful completion of the application process. To access, select the corresponding license on the Home screen, then the confirmation page under the 'Files' heading on the License Information screen.
If a valid email address is listed with the North Carolina Board of Nursing, you will receive confirmation via email verifying receipt of your online application.
Upon successful completion of the online application, you may check your application status via Nurse Gateway . Licensure information can be verified on the Board's website. The Board of Nursing’s electronic database serves the primary source of licensure information for nurses in North Carolina.