Although we just completed a successful Board of Nursing election, we are already preparing for our next election. In 2024, the Board will have three openings: RN Practical Nurse Educator, RN Staff Nurse and APRN. The nomination form must be submitted by each petitioner via the Nurse Gateway on or before April 1, 2024. Read the nomination instructions and make sure the candidate being nominated meets all the requirements.
Nominations for both RN and LPN positions shall be made by submitting the electronic nomination form completed by at least 10 RNs (for an RN nominee) or 10 LPNs (for an LPN nominee) eligible to vote in the election. The minimum requirements for an RN or an LPN to seek election to the Board and to maintain membership are as follows:
- Hold a current unencumbered license to practice in North Carolina;
- Be a resident of North Carolina;
- Have a minimum of five years' experience in nursing; and,
- Have been engaged continuously in a position that meets the criteria for the specified Board position, for at least three years immediately preceding the election.
Minimum ongoing-employment requirements for both RNs and LPNs shall include continuous employment equal to or greater than 50% of a full-time position that meets the criteria for the specified Board member position, except for the RN-At-Large position.
If you are interested in being a candidate for one of the positions, visit the NCBON website for additional information, including a Board Member Job Description and other Board-related information. You may also contact [email protected]. After careful review of the information packet, you and your petitioners must each complete the electronic nomination form by 5:00 pm April 1, 2024.
Guidelines for Nomination
- RNs can petition only for RN nominations and LPNs can petition only for LPN nominations.
- Only petitions submitted on the electronic nomination form will be considered.
- The Nurse Gateway portal will validate that the petitioner and each nominee holds appropriate North Carolina licensure.
- If the nominee receives fewer than ten petitioners, the petition shall be declared invalid.
- Petitions must be submitted via nurse gateway nomination form on or before 5:00 pm on April 1, 2024, for the nominee to be considered for candidacy.
- Elections will be held July 1, 2024 through August 15, 2024. Those elected will begin their terms of office in January 2025.