Registered Nurses (RN) exploring entrepreneurial opportunities are encouraged to seek legal advice in establishing a Professional Corporation (PC) or Professional Limited Liability Company (PLLC) for the purpose of providing nursing and related services. Application is made through the North Carolina Board of Nursing (Board) as noted below and through the North Carolina Secretary of State. Nursing Professional Corporations or Professional Limited Liability Companies must meet all requirements set forth in all applicable North Carolina laws and rules including, but not limited to, the following:
- § 55B – Professional Corporation Act;
- § 57D – North Carolina Limited Liability Company Act;
- § 90 Article 9A – Nursing Practice Act;
- 21 NCAC 36 .0500 – Professional Corporations (Nursing); and,
- 21 NCAC 36 .0600 – Articles of Organization (Nursing Professional Limited Liability Company)
Professional Corporations Rules
Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) are not authorized to establish Professional Corporations or Professional Limited Liability Companies by these regulations.
Apply online in your Nurse Gateway
- Log into the Nurse Gateway.
- Go to the Applications at the dropdown menu and choose Corp/LLC Application.
- Pay $50.00 registration fee online and follow the instructions to upload documents.
- North Carolina Secretary of State forms can be found here.
- The Board will then issue a Certificate of Registration required to be filed with the North Carolina Secretary of State.
The initial Board Certificate of Registration will remain in effect until December 31st of the year in which it is issued. Ongoing renewal of the Board Certificate of Registration is then required annually prior to December 31st expiration date. The Board emails a curtesy reminder to renew prior to November 15th, to the Professional Corporation or Professional Limited Liability Company on file. By the 31st of December the renewal for the Professional Corporation or Professional Limited Liability Company will need to be completed on the Nurse Gateway.
- The annual renewal fee is $25.00.
- You will log into your Nurse Gateway to complete renewals and reinstatements.
- Failure to renew Certificate of Registration with the Board within 30 days of expiration date results in automatic suspension of approval and notification of the Secretary of State.
- Renewal of nursing or advanced practice nursing license/registration/recognition/approval to practice does not renew PC/PLLC Certificate of Registration.
- Annual renewal with the Secretary of State may also be required per laws and rules.