Registered Nurses (RN) exploring entrepreneurial opportunities are encouraged to seek legal advice in establishing a Professional Corporation (PC) or Professional Limited Liability Company (PLLC) for the purpose of providing nursing and related services. Application is made through the North Carolina Board of Nursing (Board) as noted below and through the North Carolina Secretary of State. Nursing Professional Corporations or Professional Limited Liability Companies must meet all requirements set forth in all applicable North Carolina laws and rules including, but not limited to, the following:
- G.S. 55B – Professional Corporation Act;
- G.S. 57D – North Carolina Limited Liability Company Act;
- G.S. 90 Article 9A – Nursing Practice Act;
- 21 NCAC 36 .0500 – Professional Corporations (Nursing); and,
- 21 NCAC 36 .0600 – Articles of Organization (Nursing Professional Limited Liability Company)
Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) are not authorized to establish Professional Corporations or Professional Limited Liability Companies by these regulations.
You will need the following to apply:
- Professional Corporation Application or Professional Limited Liability Company Application
- Copy of Articles of Incorporation/Organization that are required by the North Carolina Secretary of State
- $50.00 Registration Fee
North Carolina Board of Nursing
P.O. Box 2129
Raleigh, NC 27602-2129
The Board will issue a Certificate of Registration required to then be filed with the North Carolina Secretary of State.
The initial Board Certificate of Registration will remain in effect until December 31st of the year in which it is issued. Ongoing renewal of the Board Certificate of Registration is then required annually prior to December 31st expiration date. The Board mails renewal applications annually, prior to November 15th, to the Professional Corporation or Professional Limited Liability Company address on file.
At least 20 days prior to the date of expiration of the certificate, the Professional Corporation or Professional Limited Liability Company shall submit to the Board:
- Written renewal application
- $25.00 annual renewal fee
- Failure to renew Certificate of Registration with the Board within 30 days of expiration date results in automatic suspension of approval and notification of the Secretary of State.
- Renewal of nursing or advanced practice nursing license/registration/recognition/approval to practice does not renew PC/PLLC Certificate of Registration.
- Annual renewal with the Secretary of State may also be required per laws and rules.